Cleared of a crime? It doesn’t matter — your mugshot will live forever online, unless you want to cough up hundreds of dollars to have it removed.
Websites like Mugshots.com and Arrests.org have collected millions of mug shots by scraping police department websites, and if innocent arrestees want their photos taken down, they have to spend anywhere from $399 to $1,479.
The other option is allowing the embarrassing — and potentially career-killing — image to stay near the top of their Google results for years.
“It’s legalized extortion, in my opinion,” said Anthony Rickman, a Florida attorney who said he has handled numerous inquiries from clients seeking mug shot removal.
“Perhaps the most concerning part of Mugshots.com is that your picture is posted immediately after the arrest, so even if you are never convicted of the crime, your mug shot will still be immortalized on the Internet,” said Noah Sidman-Gale, a community manager at SafeShepherd, a company that finds and removes clients’ personal data from the Internet.
Sophia Andrade, 50, is still fighting to get her mug shot taken down two years after it was published. Andrade’s mug shot was taken after her husband called the police, claiming she had scratched him.
“I went to jail on a lie from my husband, who had me arrested when I asked for a divorce,” Andrade said. “The case was thrown out, and it wasn’t even brought to trial.”
Though she was never charged, Andrade’s photo still appears on Mugshots.com — because she refuses to pay the $399 fee.”
I am SHAKING right now I’m so angry. This is vile.
64 Notes/ Hide
- ostrichkim reblogged this from fastcompany
- ostrichkim likes this
- singuratic likes this
- beelzebrox reblogged this from queenjessicat
- queenjessicat reblogged this from bookwormbreakfast
- bookwormbreakfast reblogged this from fastcompany and added:
- wanderingballon likes this
- cynicalbritishgirl likes this
- kristen-leigh reblogged this from thedailyfeed
- favalencia reblogged this from thedailyfeed
- republicofideas reblogged this from thedailyfeed
- surfersrule reblogged this from thedailyfeed and added:
- alexandragracetumblr likes this
- gingrvitis reblogged this from easterplatypus
- ambitionatsubzero reblogged this from fastcompany
- comradedani reblogged this from thedailyfeed
- comradedani likes this
- ivogeorgiev likes this
- danhaggerty likes this
- ex-ist likes this
- thegreatphoenixross reblogged this from thedailyfeed
- easterplatypus reblogged this from matthewbartholomewesquire
- the-nomadic-writer reblogged this from fastcompany
- breezybrice reblogged this from fastcompany
- breezybrice likes this
- mtvhive likes this
- devonvsmith likes this
- aliceinwasateland reblogged this from tigertwo1515
- fiestabear likes this
- cartonplanet reblogged this from thedailyfeed and added:
- intellectualtreason reblogged this from fastcompany and added:
- intellectualtreason likes this
- coketalk likes this
- swagandpassion reblogged this from fastcompany
- lonelycactusflower likes this
- heintzcr reblogged this from thedailyfeed
- mannymann reblogged this from thedailyfeed
- mannymann likes this
- oh-its-that-ginger-kid reblogged this from invisiblelad
- invisiblelad reblogged this from thedailyfeed
- foxwithsocks likes this
- objectivecrizzo said: The people that run mugshot.com should face a firing squad!
- leatherluxor likes this
- toddcamack likes this
- futureisfailed reblogged this from fastcompany
- guardiancomment likes this
- feed-well likes this
- fastcompany reblogged this from thedailyfeed and added:
- thetcwuzhere likes this