The People’s Bailout
An important message from this guy:
This is a long post but it’s about something pretty interesting so I hope you’ll indulge …
Like many folks, Occupy Wall Street has been some doing good work in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, helping people on the ground.
Now OWS is launching the ROLLING JUBILEE, a program that has been in development for months. OWS is going to start buying distressed debt (medical bills, student loans, etc.) in order to forgive it. As a test run, we spent $500, which bought $14,000 of distressed debt. We then ERASED THAT DEBT. (If you’re a debt broker, once you own someone’s debt you can do whatever you want with it — traditionally, you hound debtors to their grave trying to collect. We’re playing a different game. A MORE AWESOME GAME.)
This is a simple, powerful way to help folks in need — to free them from heavy debt loads so they can focus on being productive, happy and healthy. As you can see from our test run, the return on investment approaches 30:1. That’s a crazy bargain!
Now, after many consultations with attorneys, the IRS, and our moles in the debt-brokerage world, we are ready to take the Rolling Jubilee program LIVE and NATIONWIDE, buying debt in communities that have been struggling during the recession.
We’re kicking things off with a show called THE PEOPLE’S BAILOUT at Le Poisson Rouge on Thursday, November 15. It will also stream online, like a good ol’-fashioned telethon!
Friends, the line-up is insane. Performers include:
- JEFF MANGUM (Neutral Milk Hotel)
- JANEANE GAROFALO
- GUY PICCIOTTO (Fugazi)
- LIZZ WINSTEAD
- HARI KONDABOLU
- TUNDE ADEBIMPE and KYP MALONE (TV on the Radio)
- members of DAS RACIST
and other great talents including a group of radical nuns! I’ll be playing the role of JERRY LEWIS, emceeing in my tuxedo from MEN’S WEARHOUSE.
This will be a joyful, positive night about people banding together and subverting a predatory financial system in order to help each other. BOOM! That’s a movie pitch right there, goddamn why am I not a Hollywood mogul?!
Anyway, HERE IS THE INFORMATION about THE PEOPLE’S BAILOUT:
- The LIVE SHOW is at Le Poisson Rouge on THURSDAY 11/15, 8 - 11 PM. Tickets are $25 (each ticket buys $500 of distressed debt).
- The LIVE STREAM will be at http://rollingjubilee.org (you’ll be able to donate online)
- Here’s the FACEBOOK PAGE
- The HASHTAG is #peoplesbailout
HOW YOU CAN HELP:
- Spread the word! Share this info with your friends, family, and followers
- Donate money via http://rollingjubilee.org
$25 abolishes an estimated $500 worth of debt
$50 abolishes an estimated $1000 worth of debt
$100 abolishes an estimated $2000 worth of debt
$250 abolishes an estimated $5000 worth of debt
- Host a live-stream party! Get together with folks in your town and watch the show online and donate money and maybe even drink a beer if you’re feeling crazy.
- If you are Jerry Seinfeld or Bill Cosby: Call me about doing a set at the live show! We’ll fit you in.
Okay, that was a really long tumblr post. I feel very vulnerable right now. Thanks for reading.
This is RIDICULOUS and CRAZY and WONDERFUL and HAPPENING RIGHT NOW. I can’t wait to hear how successful this ends up being, but the fact that it was put into action in the first place is so inspiring I can’t even stand it.
2780 Notes/ Hide
- that-saukerl reblogged this from howtosharpenpencils
- geeorjoena reblogged this from howtosharpenpencils
- thearroganceof reblogged this from howtosharpenpencils
- bluesspankbank reblogged this from howtosharpenpencils
- lostboiwonder reblogged this from howtosharpenpencils
- scorpiomystiqu reblogged this from howtosharpenpencils
- dontforgettole reblogged this from howtosharpenpencils
- bkfoodporn reblogged this from howtosharpenpencils
- jeweller-passion likes this
- photograghy-passion likes this
- constrution-bamford likes this
- mathworks-hedge likes this
- tvshowbiz likes this
- investment-portfolio reblogged this from wilwheaton
- elegantweddinginvites likes this
- timetoraise likes this
- arashikami reblogged this from wilwheaton
- daysofxavierspast likes this
- compartmentalising likes this
- evanwalsh-kchung likes this
- greenlivingguy likes this
- ohdarnedwind reblogged this from howtosharpenpencils
- grajing likes this
- tysoncrosbie likes this
- fivedozencats reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president
- vivacity reblogged this from howtosharpenpencils and added:
- tiltingheartand likes this
- fearher reblogged this from wilwheaton
- iatrogenic reblogged this from nehirose and added:
- nehirose reblogged this from willnobilis and added:
- willnobilis reblogged this from pearwaldorf and added:
- fugazihugs reblogged this from howtosharpenpencils and added:
- dark-siren reblogged this from spectral-market
- emma-ink reblogged this from wilwheaton
- stokerbramwell reblogged this from wilwheaton and added:
- kraftgenies reblogged this from maxistentialist
- kraftgenies likes this
- okidris likes this
- tekym reblogged this from howtosharpenpencils
- gildadavidian likes this
- merelyn likes this
- blue-oiseau likes this
- charmingpplincardigans likes this
- spiralstreesandcupsoftea reblogged this from spectral-market
- dark-siren likes this
- spiderine reblogged this from spectral-market
- eponine119 likes this
- spectral-market reblogged this from wilwheaton
- sodomitedog reblogged this from clupster
- sodomitedog likes this